Sunday, November 1, 2009

FOR ALL THE SAINTS -- Devotional for November 1, from "Good Seeds"

Since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us…let us run with endurance the race that is set before us. (Hebrews 12:1)

This is the title of one of my favorite hymns. Sadly, it has gone the way of that whole genre of Christian music, as hymns have been relegated to the dusty closets of the contemporary church. I love the new music, and we should keep writing new songs, but not as replacements of the old. This hymn draws me, in my mind, into the ranks of the faithful fighting saints of yesteryear, and encourages me to be as bold in my confession of that forever blest name. The communion I feel with them is powerful, especially as I anticipate that glorious day when I will take my place next to them, marching in bright array, into the very presence of Jesus!
1) For all the saints who from their labors rest, who Thee by faith before the world confessed, Thy name, O Jesus, be forever blest. Alleluia!
2) Thou wast their Rock, their Fortress, and their Might; Thou, Lord, their Captain in the well fought fight; Thou in the darkness drear their one true light. Alleluia! 3) O may Thy soldiers, faithful, true and bold, fight as the saints who nobly fought of old; and win with them the victor’s crown of gold. Alleluia! 4) O blest communion, fellowship divine! We feebly struggle, they in glory shine; yet all are one in Thee for all are Thine. Alleluia! 5) But lo! there breaks a yet more glorious day; the saints triumphant rise in bright array; the King of Glory passes on His way. Alleluia! 6) From earth’s wide bounds, from ocean’s farthest coast, through gates of pearl streams in the countless host, singing to Father, Son and Holy Ghost: Alleluia!
Whenever I sing this hymn I am overcome, not just with powerful emotion, but also with an overpowering realization that I am part of something huge, something that will only grow as times continues: the Great and glorious church of the Living God, the body of Christ spread across every corner of the world and throughout every century of history! When I meet with the handful of saints down at the church on Sunday morning, sometimes I get a little discouraged by the weakness of our worship, especially when comparing it to that Sunday afternoon “worship service” I experience vicariously through the T.V. – a football game with 100,000 fans all gathered in one place, singing and shouting praises to their team. It makes me wonder, “Where are the fans of Jesus, and how well do we follow Him, and praise Him, compared to these?” That’s when I must turn my gaze heavenward, to that “great cloud of witnesses,” shining in glory, sitting in the grandstands of heaven – no, standing! – to cheer me on in my feeble struggle. Knowing I am one of them, and one with them, and with their Savior, makes me want to shine for Jesus right here, and shout Hallelujah right now! How about you?
-

No comments:

Post a Comment