Thursday, June 18, 2009

THE SCARIEST VERSE IN THE BIBLE -- Devotional for June 17, from "Good Seeds"

But I buffet my body and make it my slave, lest possibly, after I have preached to others, I myself should be disqualified. (I Corinthians 9:27)

If the apostle Paul, surely one of the greatest Christians who ever lived, was one step away from becoming a spiritual castaway, where does that leave you and me? He’s not talking about losing his place in heaven, but rather being sent up there earlier than expected, due to failure down here. Paul was personally aware of that very scenario, for later in this letter to the Corinthians he reminds them about some of their own number who were sick, and some who even had died, due to their sins, sins that defamed the name of Jesus, and desecrated their witness of Him (see I Corinthians 11:30). The message is clear: our past faithful service is no guarantee of present and perpetual favor with God! What a sober warning to those who say, “Don’t ask me to teach Sunday School (or host a home group, come to work day, join the choir, serve on a committee, etc.), for I’ve put in my share, and it’s time for the younger ones to get into the act. Let someone else catch men, I want to go catch fish, for a change!” Although our capabilities for service may change as we grow older, there’s no such thing as retirement in the Christian life (and those who ask for it may not know it, but they’re “really asking for it!”). Regardless of his long and faithful career as a preacher and church planter, Paul knew the moment he stopped living 100% for His Lord would be the moment God would have to put him on the shelf. And that’s not where he wanted to be! I don’t know about you, but as much as I crave heaven, I don’t want to go there one second earlier than my appointed time. I don’t want to be like the soldier who re-enters civilian life earlier than planned due to a dishonorable discharge. The cases of Christians being zapped from this life and into the next because of shameful moral or spiritual failure are not common (but we read of Ananias and Sapphira, and shudder! – see Acts 5). The rest of these dropouts may live out their lives, but live them like zombies: still walking this earth, still breathing God’s air and enjoying His blessings – and still darkening the door of His church – but no longer of any use to God or man. Why? Because they have ceased to BUFFET their bodies (a training word, meaning “beat”) into seasoned, disciplined men and women for God, but instead choose to buffet their bodies (a French word meaning “indulge”) with the decaying delights of this world. Christians used to be known for the evil they didn’t do. That needed to be balanced by the good they do, but now the pendulum has swung too far the other way, the world’s way – and it’s scary what’s happening to the witness and the joy of today’s average Christian. Let that not be you or me!

No comments:

Post a Comment