Thursday, September 3, 2009

DOES GOD FORGET? -- Devotional for September 3, from "Good Seeds"

Only remember me, and get me out of this place, when things are going well with you…But the head cupbearer never gave Joseph another thought, for two long years, until the Pharaoh had a dream. Then the cupbearer said, “Oh, I just remembered something!” (Genesis 40:14,23; 41:9)

One of the most cherished promises in the Bible is the one that says God remembers to forget! But when we read what God declared in Jeremiah 31:34, “I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more,” and hear what David prayed in Psalm 25:7, “Remember not the sins of my youth,” are we to take it at face value that God actually forgets? No, for that would negate His omniscience. God knows all, which means He always knows all, ergo: He never forgets. Still, what relief to hear God say, “Your sins I will remember no more.” Which of these would give you more comfort: to know that God remembers, or that He forgets?” Well, I guess it all depends on the subject at hand. Regarding my faults, I want Him to be ever so forgetful, never bringing them up again, never holding them against me. We often hear people say, “I’ll forgive, but I won’t forget.” Yes, our memory of others’ offenses works overtime, and works only too well! But not with God, for He absolutely forgives and forgets. Consider this: a believer fearfully prays, “Oh Father, please forgive me, I did it again!” “Did what?” comes the surprising reply. God’s not playing a cruel game here, making us “name it and claim it.” No, He’s just reminding us that true forgiveness wipes the slate clean and gives us a fresh start. But now, Regarding my needs, I want Him to be never forgetful! And yet how often are we just sure He’s forgotten us? Joseph’s the expert here. He was hated by his brothers, not for anything he’d done, but because he was his father’s favorite son. They almost killed him, but then sold him into slavery instead. While faithfully serving his master, Joseph was again hated, this time for his moral purity. With his righteousness continually getting him into trouble, he finally cried out to God. Now, nobody hated him there in prison, but worse than being hated is being forgotten. A song laments, “But now I’m so lost, not even God can find me.” That was Joseph’s theme song! He didn’t sin, but he was getting pretty bitter. How could he know there are some lessons that cannot be learned any other way but through suffering, through waiting – through feeling totally forgotten?! But God did not forget Joseph – not for one moment! And when the time was right, he reminded that cupbearer. Friend, don’t despair. God hasn’t forgotten you either. Keep serving, keep praying, keep waiting, for you too will someday be known as “The man God remembered.”

No comments:

Post a Comment