Thursday, July 2, 2009

THE HARDEST JOB -- Devotional for July 2, from "Good Seeds"

After those days,” says the Lord, “I will put my laws into their minds, and I will write them upon their hearts. And I will be their God and they shall be My people. And they shall have no need to teach their neighbors and brothers, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest.” (Hebrews 8:10-12)

What is the hardest job for the Christian? Some say it is praying. And that may be true, if only because of our tendency to want to DO it ourselves, and praying means we’re turning not just our troubles and trials but also our tasks over to God. Oh, God would not have us be lax in our duties, but all too often we think we can handle things, and neglect to bring Him into the equation. Somebody once said, “Everything in the Christian life is easier than prayer.” He may be right, but I was thinking of another one. “Is it sanctification, then?” you may ask. Every time we turn around we speak a cross word, think an evil thought, do a selfish act, give a jealous look. The harder we work at living a clean and holy life, the more we fail and fall into temptation and sin. Yes, living a righteous life has got to be the hardest thing for any child of God to do (even though He empowers us to do it). But there’s still another one, and when I say it, I know you’ll agree with me, that it really is the most difficult job for any Christian, a job any of us would most happily trade for another. If you read today’s passage you’ll have guessed it already. Our most difficult assignment is…oh, I know it’s a blessed privilege, and brings the greatest joy when we succeed, but sometimes I’d trade that high joy in for any lesser pleasure if it meant I didn’t have to…what? Talk to unbelievers about Jesus. I’m talking about witnessing, evangelism, sharing the gospel of salvation through Christ. “I’ll tell the world that I’m a Christian,” goes a song we used to sing in church. “I’m not ashamed His name to bear…I’ll take Him with me anywhere.” A nice thought, a lofty goal – but I’m afraid that, for me at least, it just isn’t true! Oh, I’m not ashamed of Jesus, but I am shy about speaking right out as some of my braver brothers and sister do. Nevertheless, this is our task. I know, evangelism is nothing more than “one beggar telling another beggar where to find food,” and I’ve even taught the lesson of the lepers of Samaria: “This is a day of Good News," they said, "but we are keeping silent. If we wait it may soon be too late. Come, therefore, let us go and tell” (II Kings 7:9). Sounds so noble, so right, so easy. And I need to do it. But that doesn’t stop me from longing for the day when the greatest evangelist, God, takes over my job and writes His name in the hearts of men. And what a joy it will be when everyone we know will know the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment