Wednesday, May 20, 2009

READY TO PREACH, PRAY OR DIE AT A MOMENT'S NOTICE -- Devotional for May 20, from "Good Seeds"

“And now, bound in spirit, I am on my way to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there…I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, in order that I may finish my course…For I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole purpose of God.” And when Paul had said these things, he knelt down and prayed with them all. (Acts 20:22,24,27,36)

Not too many of us could stand beside Paul and say with him that we are innocent of the blood of all men. Not that we have killed anyone, but Paul was referring to those he had rubbed shoulders with that he had not failed to tell of forgiveness through Christ. How many unsaved relatives, friends, class buddies, workmates or neighbors do we see every day that we have not once shared Christ with? What excuse will we give at the Judgment Seat of Christ when He asks us why we shrank from speaking His name? “Well, Jesus, I just didn’t know what to say. I wanted to speak up, but I just wasn’t prepared!” It’s true, many of us are in no way prepared to open our lips in testimony of the grace of God. Oh, we can talk all day about the latest movies, world events, national politics, the weather – maybe even about the church and Christian things – but we just can’t seen to speak the NAME, and make the claim that we walk the narrow path of righteousness in Christ. Maybe because we indeed are NOT walking that path, though we continue to “pay our dues” by going to church and hanging around Christians. A professor of mine in seminary used to say to us: “Men, I’ve failed unless I send you out of these hallowed halls prepared to preach, pray – or die – at a moment’s notice!” I wonder if he was thinking of Paul’s parting words to his dear church in Ephesus. The old apostle, having put in his time and taken more than his share of beatings for his faith, was nevertheless assessing his future, not his past, in this powerful three point sermon: PREACH -- “I have a one track mind, and that’s the gospel of Jesus Christ, which is the focal point of the whole counsel of God, and of my whole life. PRAY -- “And now I commend you, my beloved, to God” (verse 32), "and while he bowed to pray, they fell on his neck, weeping." DIE -- “The Holy Spirit has told me that bonds and afflictions await me” (verse 23). Having died daily to his own plans and desires, he was ready to die finally and go on to his reward. But in the meantime, having prayed and preached consistently since his conversion, why would he stop now? Can you and I make this bold claim? Do our feet fit in Paul’s sandals? Are we ready, now, to preach, pray, or die – OR LIVE – for Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment