Saturday, April 18, 2009

DESIRE THE FIRE -- Devotional for April 18, from "Good Seeds"

But if I say I'll never mention the Lord again, or speak in His name, His word burns in my heart like a fire. It's like a fire in my bones! I am worn out trying to hold it in! I can't do it! (Jeremiah 20:9)

Have you ever had a piece of your clothing catch fire? What’s the first thing you do? You take instant measures to put it out. Everything else goes on the back burner (pun intended!). Speaking of burners, Karen, my wife, tells the story about how when she was twelve years old, her favorite pajamas caught fire -- with her in them! Her mom was cooking something tasty for breakfast. Karen’s back was to the gas stove, talking to Mom before getting dressed for school. The house was cold, but it was warm in the kitchen – by the stove. In fact, she was beginning to feel VERY warm! That’s when she smelled something burning -- her PJ’s! In sheer panic she ripped them off – with no thought as to who else might be present in the room (we’re happy to report there was no one else but her mom – and her guardian angel!) Now, back to Jeremiah. He was a prophet whose specialty was bold street evangelism. He was the guy with the sandwich board sign warning all within view and earshot, “Turn or burn!” He wrote, “When I speak, my words explode with the message, ‘Violence and destruction!This is truly a word from the Lord, but speaking it has made me a household joke, even to my friends!” (see verses 8,10). Yes, the results were not very satisfying, for nobody was listening to Jeremiah, and he was really down about it. I like this guy: he’s brave in danger, but he’s also vulnerable to discouragement. In fact, the day finally came when he decided, “Okay, that’s it. I’m done. No more witnessing for me. If these people want an eternity apart from God and all that’s good, I guess that’s what they’ll get – and I can’t stop them, so I guess I’ll just stop trying.” But it turns out Jeremiah couldn’t stop trying. The word of the Lord continued in a slow burn down in his soul, until it caught fire to his bones and then flamed in his heart, till finally bursting forth once more from his lips! What about you? Is the gospel of salvation through Christ planted deep within – the truth that turned your life around, and put you on higher ground, and the road to glory? Do you have friends who desperately need to hear that truth? Is that message setting your heart aflame, or are you comfortably lukewarm inside, nothing crying to get out -- no urgency to share the Good News? Maybe God needs to do a work in you. But in the meantime, there’s something you can do: pray for a desire to share Christ with the lost world around you. And then pray for the fire! Jesus said, “When the Holy Spirit comes upon you, you SHALL BE My witnesses” (Acts 1:8).

No comments:

Post a Comment